FEDUJAZZ and Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism Present the XXI Dominican Republic Jazz Festival
The 21st Dominican Republic Jazz Festival, presented by FEDUJAZZ and the Ministry of Tourism, will host six nights of free concerts recognizing music, culture and the arts beginning in Santo Domingo on October 29, and from November 1 – 5, 2017 in Santiago, Sosúa, Puerto Plata and Cabarete.
Celebrating a rich history spanning over twenty years, the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival has enjoyed participation by internationally acclaimed artists such as the prestigious GRAMMY Award winners: Esperanza Spalding, Joe Lovano, Danilo Perez, David Sánchez, Ray Barretto, Néstor Torres, Chucho Valdés, Arturo Sandoval, John Patitucci, Chuck Mangione, and Grammy Award nominee Pedro Pablo “Pedrito” Martínez.
“The 2017 Dominican Republic Jazz Festival honors the contemporary global dimension of jazz and every night will be dedicated to different countries and their specific point of view on this music.” states Marco Pignataro, Artistic Advisor to the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival, and Managing Director of the Berklee Global Jazz Institute. “Jazz is truly a modern expression of democracy which keeps renewing itself through the creative encounter of music cultures around the world” Mr. Pignataro continues.
Festival Date, Show Location, Country Dedication
Sunday, October 29, 2017 – Santo Domingo, Plaza España – France
- Big Band of National Conservatory of Music of Santo Domingo Featuring Alain Mallet (Dominican Republic / France)
- The Jazz Ensemble from Paris Conservatory Featuring Riccardo del Fra (France)
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 – Santiago, Centro Leon – Argentina
- El Eco with Guillermo Nojechowicz featuring Marco Pignataro, Brian Lynch, Helio Alves, Kim Nazarian & Fernando Huergo (Argentina, Brazil)
- Rafelito Mirabal & Sistema Temperado (Dominican Republic)
Thursday, November 2, 2017 – Sosúa, Amphitheatre Hotel Casa Marina – Israel
- Javier Vargas and Atre (Dominican Republic)
- Roni Eytan Quartet (Israel)
- Anat Cohen with the Berklee Global Ambassadors (Israel / USA)
Friday, November 3, 2017 – Puerto Plata, Independence Park – Brazil
- Guy Frómeta Trío (Dominican Republic)
- Trío da Paz (Brazil)
Saturday, November 4, 2017 – Cabarete Beach – United States
- George Garzone with the Berklee Global Jazz Ambassadors (USA)
- Sean Jones (USA)
- Brian Lynch (USA)
Sunday, November 5, 2017 – Cabarete Beach – Puerto Rico, Italy & DR
- Marco Pignataro “Almas Antiguas Quartet” featuring Alan Pasqua, Adam Cruz, Ehud Ettun (Italy, Puerto Rico)
- William Cepeda (Puerto Rico)
- Fefita la Grande and Special Guests (Dominican Republic)
All Dominican Republic Jazz Festival shows are free and open to the public, with VIP tickets and priority seating available for purchase. Proceeds of VIP ticket sales benefit FEDUJAZZ, the music education foundation of the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival. Contact FEDUJAZZ for more details at (809) 809-571-9350, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEDUJAZZ provides free music education for the youth of the Dominican Republic. Currently, there are one hundred students attending free music classes at the foundation’s center in Cabarete. Hundreds of schoolchildren from the North Coast of the Dominican Republic also attend educational music workshops with the renowned musicians performing at the jazz festival each year.